Monday, May 4, 2020

The Willoughbys (2020) Review



I'm a fan of animation, so here's a review for this film I saw on Netflix.

It's based on a children's book by the author Lois Lowry and it's about kids trying to get rid of their terrible parents.

The film seems a bit unfocused, but I thought it was funny at parts. I've noticed that people with abusive and/or neglective parents have taken a liking to this film, and that's cool. I wasn't a fan of how they portrayed people involved in childrens' asylums, but hey, I'm never been an orphan. There's probably something I don't know.

The animation reminded me a lot of Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, and sure enough, it's directed by someone who worked on the sequel.

If I have any major criticisms of this film, it would be the performance of Ricky Gervais, who plays the cat. Whenever I heard him narrate, he sounded so bored.

Overall, the film was alright. 7/10 maybe.

BTW, I highly recommend checking out these two podcast interview with the director: The Bancroft Brothers & Animation for Adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment